Deadlines for applications for new members to the committee are usually the autumn and spring every year. The Postdoc Coordinator will advertise the call to the GC Postdoc Network. The next deadline is likely to be 31 October 2024. Please contact the Postdoc Coordinator if you need more information..
Are you part of the Göttingen Campus Postdoc community and do you meet our definition of a Postdoc? Then we are looking for your ideas, input, and energy to make the Göttingen Campus a better place for Postdocs.
As a committee member, you will benefit from:
- directly influencing the events and activities of the Postdoc Network
- meeting postdocs from across the Campus
- getting experience in committee work
- gaining a better understanding of how large organisations work
- opportunities to be more involved in the running of the University and Campus, and getting to meet senior staff
- acquiring transferable skills which are sought by many employers and can go on your CV
The main commitment is contributing ideas at our friendly meeting once a month. Meetings are in English, last approximately one hour, and are usually conducted via zoom. There is also attendance when possible at events (e.g., Postdoc Socials or Postdoc Support and Information Fairs).
The GC Postdoc Committee’s mission:
- strives to ensure that the GC Postdoc community is valued, understood and that its voice is heard;
- supports, serves, and enhances the experience of the GC Postdoc community by providing an inclusive and overarching network across the GC and beyond;
- champions equality, diversity, and interdisciplinarity at every opportunity
- Represent the needs and views of early career researchers to the University and its administration
You can see more about what we do here, and the terms of reference are here.
We welcome all applications andare keen to increase the diversity (e.g., geographical location across the Campus, variety of disciplines, backgrounds and origins) to enhance the representativeness of the committee. We aim for balanced representation of Postdocs in the committee and all genders are welcome.
The committee particularly encourages postdocs from any area or viewpoint that you (the GC Postdoc Network) consider is currently under-represented. From our perspective, Postdocs from any of the following areas would help balance our representation: MPIs/Research Centres across GC; Forestry; or those who have come via the German system (from degree onwards). Note that there are opportunities for Postdocs who would like to have involvement with the central administration (Senat/Vice President/senior management).
The application process is quick and easy: simply send a short CV and an email briefly explaining why you would like to join the Committee to Melissa Sollich, the Postdoc Coordinator. This will be considered by the committee to ensure a good fit. Contact any of the current committee members for a chat or meet us at the upcoming social events to find out more.
We use the term ‘Postdoc’ in the broad sense of ‘early career researcher’ – a doctorate holder who conducts professional research with a time-limited contract or fellowship. If you fit this definition, even if you do not usually see yourself as a Postdoc, feel free to apply! We are looking for diverse perspectives.